I hope you enjoy this drive, I did. The roads are nice and
Bishop's castle is pretty incredible. Jim Bishop is building this by hand.
He started building this over 35 years ago. It's free and open to the
public during the day. Jim encourages a donation of $5 to visit. The
money goes to towards Jim's castle efforts. But that is up to you.
This would also be a great trip to take when the Aspens are turning.
It takes about an hour and 1/2 to get to Bishop's castle, about
75 miles. I suspect it may take less time for some...
Don't forget your camera!
- Head south on highway 115.
- Continue past highway 50 (through Penrose) to Florence.
- You need to take a left at highway 67 once you get to Florence.
- Once on 67 notice Supermax on your left. Some of the
country's most infamous reside there now.
- Highway 67 Ts at Wetmore. Turn right (west) here over
- You are now on highway 96. Continue on 96 until you can
make a left on highway 165. This turn is near some 100 foot
bluffs on the right. If you get to Silver Cliff or Westcliffe
you've gone to far.
- Bishops castle is about 12 miles on the right.
Here is where I tempt you with some photos:
picture of a turret from another turret. Each as stairs to the
there is a fire in the fire place, smokes leaves through the dragon's
you can walk between the turrets. I didn't have the courage.
castle in all its glory.
the 2nd story.